January 11, 2012

Off to See the Wizard

Good-bye Dr. P, hello Dr. B.

Did you know that medical labs will report blood progesterone levels below 1? I mean, they won't just say "zero" or "essentially zero" - no, they'll give it to you in decimals. Did you know you can even have a blood progesterone level that is lower than a whole number? I do because that is what my body has regularly regurgitated even after pharmacological intervention. The latest in a line of Epic Fails with clomid: 0.3 - That's a clear "fuck you" issued from my ovaries. So I guess my New Year's resolution of ovulating with greater frequency is off to a pretty bad start...

I thought this was the end of the line for Dr. P and I since I'm up to 150mg of clomid. Surprisingly, the nurse informed me Dr. P had authorized them to bump up the prescription by another 50mg for one last shot before shipping me off to The Land of Oz - I mean, Infertility. After hearing my last progesterone numbers, though, I turned them down. What good is 50mg more going to do me when this obviously isn't working? Its been four long cycles and I am emotionally drained from all the failures, especially after the one time it did work. A more innocent version of myself thought that was it and we had found my silver bullet. Silly, stupid girl...

So its onto Dr. B's office. I've never met him, but I feel like I know him already. My sister, J, has been his patient for years now. He works with Dr. G - the PCOS Guru as my mom refers to him. So, the Wizard and the Guru; hopefully between the two of them they can at least get me ovulating with some regularity. I don't even want to think about how much this is all going to cost...Insurance will only cover my first medicated cycle with Dr. B because it is "diagnostic". After that it is considered "treatment" and that part of infertility isn't covered. But that's another rant for another day...

4 comments:

  1. My insurance also only covers diagnosing infertility- then they leave me out to dry. Unbelievable. When you have to worry about the extreme cost of things, it brings it all to a new level. That said, your RE clinic 'should' bill your appointments, u/s, blood work, etc under normal gyn correct? If not, ASK THEM!! So far, I've only had to pay for medications and IUIs on our own. Of course, that very probable $20k IVF bill still wakes me up out of a dead sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip! I told my husband that if his SA comes back with any significant problems, we aren't resuming treatments until we've saved up for IUI or IVF. I really hope it doesn't come to that for you or for me! This whole process is hard enough without the financial factor :-/

      Delete
  2. Ugh, sorry about all of this girl! But glad to hear your moving on to a new doctor, that can make a huge difference.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and your sweet comment. I'm looking forward to cheering you on during your journey and hoping that things work out for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Hoping! Just reaching out to this community is making me feel better :-)

    ReplyDelete